Thursday, July 23, 2015

Floor Tile Fashion

                               


I've never had a good eye for fashion. When I was little, I distinctly remember having 3 of the exact same pairs of shorts and I would wear them everyday. They were navy blue and had a
Woodstock applique on the side. I would couple my shorts with a white polo shirt, and boom, I was out the door! You know in the cartoons, where the characters wear the same outfit every day? I guess that was what I was going for. There is also the rare moment when you get to peek inside said cartoon's closet. Usually you end up seeing what looks like a clone experiment from a fashion lab. Sometimes, I wish I could live like that now and not have people think I'm crazy. Wouldn't it be so much easier? Don't get me wrong, I like to dress up when I have the time for it, or when I get the sudden urge to try to replicate an outfit I saw in a magazine (although it never looks as cool as it did on the model). But for the everyday routine of waking up and getting ready for work, sometimes I wish I could just pick my outfit from a sea of sameness like they do in the cartoons and be done with it.

This is the outfit I wore every day of my life as a
seven year old. I was seven so I could get away with it. Right?
I am writing this post because I thought about this topic after what someone told me at work today. I picked out an outfit like I do every morning. I felt pretty good about it. I have a very simple, casual sense of style and I like to imagine that people see me and think, "She is so casually cool." Then something happens where I'm reminded that people are not thinking that at all. As I am walking through the parking lot early in the morning, our summer lab intern passes me and says, "You are Hardy'd out today!" To which I reply, "Huh?" (By the way the company I work for is called Hardy Diagnostics). She tells me that I match the pattern on the floor in the breakroom. I laughed because I genuinely did think it was funny, and then had a moment of realization that the intern saw my outfit and the first thing she could compare it to was the ground in a room we weren't even in. This didn't upset me, and it still doesn't, but it did remind me that people are probably never actually paying attention to what I'm wearing. When they do notice, it's doubtful that it's for a good reason. 
The outfit I was wearing when I was compared to a floor pattern.
I had to take the picture with Coraline because I hate pictures
with only me in them. I feel awkward and never know what to
do with my hands. This picture was tricky and it took me a
couple tries to convince Coraline not to scratch my eyes out.

And here is the floor I bore an uncanny resemblance to.

The comment made by our lovely intern is certainly not the most horrible comment I have received about an outfit. In fact, I don't consider it horrible in the slightest bit. I just gave it as an example and I have received more offensive comments about some poor fashion choices in my past. But most of those probably deserved to be ridiculed. The point is, I like the way I dress and I think it properly represents who I am as a person. So even though I may dream of the day when I have to wear a uniform to work (more for the ease of it all, not so much to avoid getting made fun of), I will continue to make questionable outfit choices, and I won't be ashamed to laugh about it. Maybe tomorrow I'll manage to accidentally match the wall pattern in the bathroom. 

2 comments:

  1. I always found your style hip and cool yet relax, I could never exactly label it, but as you say "casual cool" seems properly termed. Apparently your color choices are on "key" so to speak, at least aesthetically speaking from a room designer's prospective. Haha just teasing, no harm or foul intended. Anyhow, joyful read :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always found your style hip and cool yet relax, I could never exactly label it, but as you say "casual cool" seems properly termed. Apparently your color choices are on "key" so to speak, at least aesthetically speaking from a room designer's prospective. Haha just teasing, no harm or foul intended. Anyhow, joyful read :)

    ReplyDelete